Local legend has long insisted that the town’s founder was Cerdic the Saxon and that Chard was named after him. Maybe, maybe not. Chard once had two cinemas. The Regent (which was once The Picture House) in the early 1930s, and The Cerdic, which opened in 1937 and closed in the early 1960s. Today, his name lives on in this Wetherspoon pub.
Find out More >