For centuries, Witney was associated with the making of woollen cloth and the blankets which carried the name of the town around the world. In 1711, ‘the blanket-weavers inhabiting in and near Witney’ obtained a royal charter to establish a company to regulate their trade. In 1721, the company of weavers erected a ‘Blanket Hall’, in the High Street. In 1844, the hall was sold and became the ‘Blanket Hall Brewery’. The Baroque-style building is now a private house.
Find out More >