The Formby lighthouse tower was built in 1719, soon after the completion, a little further along the coast, of the first Liverpool dock. Originally just a landmark for shipping, the tower was later converted (1831) into a lighthouse, with the lighthouse-keeper also in charge of Formby’s lifeboat station, reputedly the world’s first. The light was finally turned off in 1859 and removed. The tower was pulled down during World War II, preventing its use as a guide to enemy aircraft.
This pub has Changing Places facilities available. For more information on Changing Places, please visit their website by clicking here.