No.7 Sheep Market was the office of the Stamford Mercury, Britain’s ‘oldest continuously published newspaper’. The Mercury moved here in 1988, not long after the first edition of its new tabloid size. The paper claims to have been founded in 1695. However, the date 1710 or 1712 seems more likely. The Stamford Post was launched in 1710, but reduced in size two years later, when it was renamed the Stamford Mercury.