The pub was formerly a Congregational church, with adjoining ‘modern glazed structure’. Since the 2002 sale of the church, it has been home to several bars. Designed by Francis Pouget, the Gothic-style Great Chapel was built in 1848, for which trustees had secured the plot or ‘the messuage formerly called The Man in the Moon’ (as described in 1818) for £500-5s. It was recorded by that name in 1739 and also in the will (14 October 1680) of John Hopkins Gent of Newport.
Find out More >