The earliest record of this former coaching inn is in the manuscripts of St George’s Chapel, Windsor, in May 1725, referring to the ‘Hatchet’ in Market Place at Newbury. In 1761, it was recorded as the Hatchet Inn. Market Place was the centre of Newbury’s coaching trade in the 18th century, with most buildings on the east side being coaching inns or hotels. In the 1930s, the property was known as the Hatchet Hotel, then (through the years) Hatchet Restaurant, Hatchet Steakhouse, Hatchet public house and even Berkshire Tavern, named by Scottish and Newcastle.
Find out More >