Find a pub or hotel

Please enter a pub or hotel name. If you are looking for something specific try our advanced search

Use my location
Please enter at least 3 characters Please enter a location, postcode or pub name Sorry couldn't find a location

Pubs or hotels matching the name '{{ pubSearchTerm }}'

Check out your nearest pub or hotel

{{ x.distanceTo }} miles
{{ x.name }}Hotel
Information

{{ x.address1 }} {{ x.city }} {{ x.county }} {{ x.postcode }}

{{ x.telephone }}

View more results Search again
Not what you were looking for? Try our advanced search

The Wagon Works

This pub was originally called Home Tavern.

28 Southampton Road, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO50 9FJ
In 1891, Eastleigh became an important railway town when the carriage and wagon works opened next to the railway station. Repair shops and a locomotive works were added later. The railway station had opened in 1841. At that time, there was a brewhouse opposite, on the site of these premises. Built in 1712, it was a thatched building which became known as Ye Olde Home Tavern and then the Home Tavern. It is now The Wagon Works.

Photographs and text about The Wagon Works.

The text reads: Eastleigh became a railway town in 1861, when the London & South Western railway opened its carriage and wagon works next to the railway station. Expansion accelerated alter repair shops and locomotive work were added in the early 1900s.

The town grew rapidly. In 1871 the population was just 515. By 1881 it had reached 1000. At the turn of the 20th century it was almost 8000 which had doubled by 1931. Five years later Eastleigh was given borough status.

The ‘King Arthur’ locomotives were built at Eastleigh, each one named after a character from the legendary Round Table. All 16 of the ‘Lord Nelson’ locos were also made at the Eastleigh Works. The first of the series is now in the National Railway Museum, York.

Top: The Works yard, 1910
Centre: The Running Shed, 1930
Above: The Home Tavern, with the tobacconist alongside, on this site, 1910.

Photographs and text about Charlotte Yonge.


The text reads: in 1868 the two small rural hamlets of Barton and Eastley were combined to form a single parish. The cost of the new parish church was largely met by the then huge sum of £500, donated by Charlotte Yonge of Otterbourne.

Reputedly, Charlotte was asked to decide whether the new parish was to be called Barton or Eastley. She chose Eastley, but preferred the now familiar spelling Eastleigh.

Yonge was a bestselling Victorian writer. The author of more than 250 books, most were reprinted several times. Charlotte lived in Otterbourne all her life. She died in 1901 and lies buried in the churchyard, near the easy door of the church.

Top left: Charlotte Mary Yonge photographed in 1898
Top right: Charlotte aged 20
Above: Charlotte in her harden at Elderfield
Left: Charlotte with her mother.

Prints and text about Mrs Fitzherbert.


The text reads: Bambridge House (two miles north east of Eastleigh) dates from 1762. As part of the manor of Eastley, it was later inherited by Walter Smythe, whose daughter, Mary Anne, spent her childhood at Bambridge.

Mary’s first husband was a rich landowner who died three months after their marriage in a riding accident. Her second husband, Thomas Fitzherbert, was ten years her senior. He died in 1781. She inherited a residence in Mayfair and a large annual income.

Three years later, Mrs Fitzherbert was introduced to George, Prince of Wales (later King George IV). They married privately had no legal status as it had not been approved by the King and the Privy Council.

Photographs and text about Barton and Eastley.


The text reads: This pub – original the Home Tavern – pre dates the railway station. Originally a brewhouse, the built was built in 1712, in what was then the rural hamlet of Barton (later engulfed by the new town of Eastleigh). The brewhouse became known as ‘the old house at home’ and then ‘Ye Olde Home Tavern’.

Parts of the original Home Tavern were incorporated in the new public house was improved in 1930.

When the station was built in the 1841 Eastleigh did not exist. The railway station was named Bishopstoke after the nearest village. The 1868 Barton and Eastley were combined into a single parish. The new church was built on land that was part of Little Eastley farm. The cost was largely met by the author Charlotte Yonge, who is said to have chosen the name ‘Eastleigh’ for the new parish.

Top: Little Eastley Farmhouse
Centre left: The Home Tavern in 1880
Centre right: Charlotte Yonge
Above: The station and the junction where this free house stands, c1914
Right: Looking up Leigh Road from the station, c1905.

External photograph of the building – main entrance.


If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: pubhistories@jdwetherspoon.co.uk