The Pevsner Architectural Guide dates this grade II listed building as being ‘mid 1760s’. In 1770, the ‘public house known by the sign of the cross keys’ was advertised for sale in the York Courant newspaper. In 1889, the Beverley Guardian reported that The Cross Keys Hotel had a commercial room, four bedrooms and domestic quarters (with cellars below), plus seven first-floor bedrooms. There was also stabling for 20 horses, with room for another 30 in adjoining stables.
A print and text about The Cross Keys.
The text reads: This Wetherspoon pub has been named after the original Cross Keys. The listed building dates back to the mid 1760s. In 1770 the public house known by the sign of the Cross Keys was advertised for sale in the York Courant newspaper. The local made directory of 1791 states that coaches ran from the Cross Keys Inn to nearby Hill. In 1809, the Inn was sold for £1,000. In 1889, the Beverley Guardian reported that the Cross Keys Hotel had a commercial room, four bedrooms and domestic quarters on the ground floor, with cellars below, and seven bedrooms on the first floor. There was also stabling for twenty horses with room for another thirty in adjoining stables.
A photograph and text about Beverly Grammar School.
The text reads: The teaching staff of Beverley Grammar School gather for a group photograph in 1910. Unfortunately some of the school mistresses at the back have had their attention drawn elsewhere and are looking away from the camera. At a time when a woman’s place was still very much in the home, the teaching profession gave women an outlet in which they could forge successful and influential careers, as evidenced by the presence of no less than 12 female staff in this picture!
There were many notable people who attended Beverley Grammar School – amongst those were: Thomas Percy (fifth member of the English Catholics who planned the Gunpowder Plot) – Smithson Tennant (English Chemist) and William Howe De Lancey (an officer in the British Army during the Napoleonic War.)
A photograph and text about Sow Hill.
The text reads: Sow Hill was first recorded in 1585 and was formerly a pig market, which was classed as the north part of Saturday Market.
Saturday Market was formerly part of the medieval High Street, also called Corn Market.
By 1577 it became known as Saturday Market.
A print of the Saturday Market, c1855.
A photograph and text about Beverley Grammar School.
The text reads: A class of boys sit studiously at their desks whilst the schoolmaster patrols the classroom. Meanwhile some more boys can be seen standing around at the back of the room. Maybe there weren’t enough desks?
Beverley Grammar School was established in 700AD and is believed to be the country’s oldest state school.
A photograph and text about Hodgson’s Tannery.
The text reads: A worker carefully pulls a hide through the rotters in this picture taken at Hodgson’s Tannery in the 1950’s. The tannery is now long gone, and with plans for a retail development on the site at Flemingate, it is becoming an ever distant memory. What was once a thriving centre for industry, Beverley is now taking off in new directions of economic development.
A print of the Saturday Market, c1965.
A photograph of Gibson’s Grocers, Minster Moorgate, Beverley. 1905.
A photograph of the Relief of Mafeking bonfire, Beverley.
A photograph of New Hull Bridge under construction, Beverley, 1913.
A photograph of a traffic jam, Henegate, Beverly, 1960.
External photograph of the building – main entrance.
If you have information on the history of this pub, then we’d like you to share it with us. Please e-mail all information to: email@example.com